Mar

PICTURES OF MY SMALL HAWTHORN IN IT’S NEW POT.

Hi every body,

two weeks ago I repotted my small Hawthorn and I wanted to show you some pictures I shot that day. Unfortunately it was a to big  a risk to plant the Hawthorn in to the planed Dan Barton pot, it was just to shallow to house the root mass that was clinging on to a large stone. So I planted it in a temporary and a bit over size pot. Next repotting I might be able to remove that rock and then I plant it in Dan’s pot!

Below: The small Hawthorn released from it’s ugly plastic container.

Below: A small detail I did not expected or had forgotten about! A rock hold firmly by thick roots. Those two roots (yellow arrows) might be useful in the future to replace that thick root. For now the thick root will be shortened.

Below: The thick root shortened. (Yellow arrow) The second thick root holding one to the root is not cut back for now, there were just to many small roots growing from it. Next repotting time, wen more fine roots have grown from the top thick roots it will be removed and then the stone might be removed as well!

Below: On the backside of the tree a other thick root is shortened.

Below:  And a other one is removed!

Below: After all is don, the tree gets a well deserved shower, that removes all the dust and small particles from the soil.

Below: This picture was made a few days later. I know that the tree needs a lot more work and that the top section needs to thicken and fill out more, But I do feel it is heading in the right direction. I love to work on Hawthorns!

Hope you like were this little Hawthorn is going?!

I will keep you posted on it’s future developments.

Cheers,

Hans van Meer.

Check out my personal Bonsai website “KARAMOTTO” : http://www.karamotto.org/

======================================================

Posted in MY WORK | 6 Comments

6 Responses to PICTURES OF MY SMALL HAWTHORN IN IT’S NEW POT.

1. Tom Kruegl says:

A beautiful little tree. I love it. You don’t see many Hawthornes where I live on the east coast of southern New Jersey. We have millions of Juniperous virginiana growing wild here. Along with them comes Cedar Apple rust.

• hans van meer says:

Hi Tom,
      I am glad you like this little tree of mine! Good yamadori Hawthorns are pretty hard to find here in Holland as well! I have a few in my collection that I collected real close to were I live, but these are not half as good as the ones that I collected in Wales (like this one)! Here in the Netherlands there are no mountains, weather circumstances or sheep to keep them small, so they usually grow to their full size and are therefor on usable for bonsai. But Juniperus virginiana sound interesting as well! Aren’t they good material to work on?
      Cheers ,
      Hans van Meer.

2. Rui Marques says:

Hi Hans,

What is your technique to get such a good ramification? What are the mais steps that you use?

If you’ve a doc that exemplifies, could you send me for rmtmarques@gmail.com

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Regards, Rui Marques – Portugal

• hans van meer says:

Hi Rui,
      I dont realy have anything that explains how I work to get this ramification on my Hawthorns, but if you give me some time, I will make one and post it here and if you like mail it to you. It is not only a technique of letting grow and than cut back in the right place at the right time, but also the way I wire and shape my branches that give the branches this image! So I need to make some drawings to explain this properly! I will start working on that this weekend!
      Cheers,
      Hans van Meer.

3. Tom Kruegl says:

Hi Hans,
    The Juniper I am talking about is also called Eastern Red Cedar. They usually grow straight up unless damaged by mowing or weather.
    The problem is E. Red Cedar is host to Cedar-Apple Rust fungus. Hawthorn, being part of the Rose family, is susceptible

4. Tom Kruegl says: