Apr

MY ACER PALMATUM “DESHOJO” IS ANNOUNSING THE UPCOMING SUMMER!

Hi, everybody,

I would like to show to you my Acer palmatum “Deshojo”. This Bonsai is beside one other tree the longest in my collection. When I bought it all those years ago, it was one off those typical bad quality Japanese import trees, that were and still are, imported by the thousands. No real Nebari (roots) or branch structure, but I fell in love with the lovely light foliage of this tree, so I had to buy it. After all these years of cultivation, it looks a lot more like a tree and I am still in love with the amazing colourful foliage, that gently moves with the slightest breeze. This little Bonsai always makes me smile when I see it flashing its colours in the wind, providing imaginary coolness on a warm Summers day!

26-04-2009-acer-037-web-hans-van-meer

Acer Palmatum “Deshojo”.

Height: 23,5 Inch/60 cm.   Pot: China.

Hope you like it?

Regards,

Hans van Meer.

Info: karamottobonsai@hotmail.com

————————————————————————————————————————

Posted in MY WORK | 8 Comments

8 Responses to MY ACER PALMATUM “DESHOJO” IS ANNOUNSING THE UPCOMING SUMMER!

1. Justin (nitsuj) says:

Hi what a beautiful acer congrats, but what are you going to do about the fungus that this specie of acer has???? thank for updating

• Hans van Meer says:

Hi Justin, glad you like it! To be honest, I wasn’t aware of a fungus that attacks this species! So I have not been doing much to prevent it! 🙂 I must admit though, that it is not the strongest of acer palmatum’s. It seams to make more roots than foliage, so I have to repot it every year and the tender branches are prone to die/dry back in winter. Bud I have this one for almost 20 years so it is possible to maintain them for a long time in a pot. Can you give me some more info on that fungus problem?
      Cheers,
      Hans van Meer.

2. Justin (nitsuj) says:

• Hans van Meer says:

Cheers,
      Hans van Meer.

3. Greeting Hans,

Love the tree, it is clear the amount of effort you have put in to improve the tree from its original state. The nebari is looking particularly good.

In regards to this fungus, the best illustration of it can be seen on our mutual friends Walter Palls blog, im sure he wont mind me linking it.

You can see the massive impact it has when it takes hold.

Howver this link (also from Walters Blog truely is heartbreaking.

I hope your tree does not meet to a simiar fate Hans.

Regards from the UK

David

• Hans van Meer says:

Hi David,
      thanks for those links. That is a sad and worrying story indeed! But I have to be honest, until now I have no indication of this fungus in this tree and it is almost 20 years in my collection now! So fingers crossed it stays that way! The part about, that they should not be out in the rain sounds logical, but this on stands out in all kind of weather. But I have to agree, it is not have as vigorous as other varieties and smaller branches seem to dry/die back often during the winter period. even when it is well protected from the elements! This shows you, that Bonsai is a living art form and anything can happen to your baby’s! There should be a law against that dont you think! 🙂
      Regards,
      Hans van Meer.

4. Greeting Hans,

You can see the massive impact it has when it takes hold.

Howver this link (also from Walters Blog truely is heartbreaking.

I hope your tree does not meet to a simiar fate Hans.

Regards from the UK